Everyone’s body is different, so our bodies will process nutrients in different ways. To function at its best, everyone’s body does need 13 essential vitamins, though. Nine of these essential vitamins are water-soluble, and four of them are fat-soluble. But when do we need to take these vitamins in our day-to-day lives, and why? Keep reading to find out.
What are vitamins?
Vitamins are vital to our overall health. Vitamins are essential micronutrients our bodies crave for not just proper metabolism function, but normal cell function, growth, and development, too [1,2]. Vitamins are not able to be synthesized by our bodies alone, which is why supplementation in our everyday diets is so important.
We are able to group vitamins into two categories: fat-soluble and water-soluble. Fat-soluble vitamins get stored in your liver, muscles, and other fatty tissue, while water-soluble vitamins are not stored in the body (except for vitamin B12) and can leave the body through your urine .
The 13 essential vitamins required for our bodies to work properly are:
When should I take my multivitamins?
According to experts, the time at which you should regularly take your vitamins can vary .
However, the general consensus amongst experts is to take your vitamins in the morning! Some vitamins like vitamin B can help your body with energy production and metabolism, and others like vitamin C can be taken at any time of the day as it is a powerful antioxidant needed for the immune system .
It is always recommended to consult your healthcare provider before beginning a new supplement, as a health professional can give you more information on the proper dosing and supplements you might need. Ask your doctor what the best time for you might be. Your doctor knows best!
What should I look for in my multivitamins?
When looking for premium multivitamin supplements, ask yourself the following questions:
- Does this multivitamin contain optimal levels of Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, and Vitamin D?
- Is this multivitamin certified gluten-free, soy-free, non-GMO, and dairy-free?
- Are these essential vitamins high potency and high quality?
- Is this multivitamin made from quality natural ingredients in the USA?
Check out our Wholesome Organics Multivitamin, which contains 19 essential vitamins and minerals. That’s right - 19! This multivitamin is not just certified gluten-free, soy-free, non-GMO, and dairy-free, but certified vegan-friendly, too. Our formula is made with high potency nutrients, is mindfully sourced for the highest quality, and is made right here in the USA.
Take a look at our multivitamin ingredients list for yourself:
Click here to discover even more supplements to support your overall wellness. We’ve carefully crafted each formula with you in mind.
What time do you take your vitamins? Let us know! The Wholesome community would love to hear from you.
- Wikimedia Foundation. (2022, May 23). Vitamin. Wikipedia. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin.
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. (2022). Vitamins: Medlineplus medical encyclopedia. MedlinePlus. Retrieved from https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002399.htm.
- Kubala, J. (2021, January 19). When is the best time to take vitamins? Healthline. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/best-time-to-take-vitamins#_noHeaderPrefixedContent.